Food?

Fanbelt

What kind of food not to take before you drive on a long trip? I read that you are not supposed to consume garlic before flying the plane. Does it apply to driving also?

Brent

I remember ever reading about the garlic things also, but I am not sure if the restriction applies to driving also. What I know is that you are not supposed to consume alcohol or certain medicines before driving.

chillen

I have never heard the garlic rule, would someone mind sharing so I do not feel left out? Really I never thought much about this while in a car or on a plane, the only time it crosses my mind is when I am about to go swimming.

coup

I second Chillens motion! I have never heard of this either! In fact I think I HAVE had garlic before I want on a plain. Am I doomed??

sharky

I have heard it both ways. On once side garlic is good for the immune system. On the other hand it smells and can cause you to be gassy. If there are other reasons I don't know them.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I do not eat anything that will chance an upset stomach, so most spicy foods. Eggs also give me some nasty gas, so I pass on that too.

Dodge Doll

No coleslaw, brussel sprouts, cauliflower, broccoli, pork, bean, before a long car trip.... skip the beer, too: hard-learned lesson, but the memories are almost and um, 'pungent' now as when they were first made.

:(

Wini

For a road trip I won't allow any food that is extra smelly - no garlic (as much as I love it) or cheesy foods. I don't recommend messy foods either, like Hot Cheetos.

Dodge Doll

My grandfather has a really really twisted sense of humor, and when I was nearing my teen years, he thought it funny to feed everyone coleslaw, marinated pork ribs, bean salad.... and my immediate family facing a 10 hour drive home the next day.

The car needed an air freshener in the worst way at the end of the trip, and Gramps wasn't allowed to choose the menus with such a free hand again.... and o wow did that old fool laugh, too.