Have you ever been stopped by a police for any reason??

fiat500

When I went to Sicily last year we were stopped by a Carabinieri (similar to FBI or something) on our way home. It was just a casual document-checking procedure and nothing else.

hotrodSteve

I've been stopped by the police a few times. All except the last time was justified. The last time, city police followed me a mile or two outside the city limits and stopped me when I turned off the highway onto a county road. They stopped me for swerving on a bridge, which just happened to be in a reduced-speed construction zone outside the city limits. I think what they really were looking for is people who didn't reduce their speed in the construction zone, but they didn't give me a ticket for swerving (which I'm sure I didn't do anyway) and I went on my way, a bit irritated but not out the time and money that a ticket would have caused.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I just got stopped last week for a headlight out while taking my wife to the hospital with labor pains. She started flipping out (crying and sobering) and the cop just said go.

Kohn

I was stopped for beating the red light, LOL! No, it wasn't actually funny.

The other time I got stopped by a policeman was when I got out of a street that was supposed to have all cars coming in only -- it was a one way street. Actually what happened was I went into that street, then I realized it was the wrong street. I made U-turn and got out again. That was when the policeman stopped me. It was late in the evening, and for some reason he simply warned me without giving me a ticket.

MomVan

Both times I've ever gotten stopped was when they said I ran a red light. The first time I did run the yellow light because I was late for class but the second time I didn't even run the light. He said I came from a turnaround and I wasn't ever in a turnaround. I ended up paying both tickets because they didn't come with points and they said if I tried to fight it and lost I would have to pay the ticket and get the points.

MaximumSpeed

It's been a while since I was stopped for any reason. The most recent time was about 11 years ago, I think, when I forgot to turn on my headlights when leaving church one evening. They gave me a ticket for children being improperly buckled even though they were all in the seats legally. There was no point in protesting it, though, because the ticket was only $10 (too bad the court costs were almost a hundred!).

LDriver

I got stopped a few months ago because the policeman said I wasn't supposed to U-turn on that area. I said that there was no sign telling so. He told me that many people actually didn't know it. How would they and I know if there was no sign. Anyway, he gave me a ticket to the tune of £30 but he said he won't take my driving licence. Do you smell what I smell?

lucky

LDriver, that experience sounds scary, especially in UK (You live there, right? You talk pounds ^_^). Hope that doesn't happen to me.

Anyhow, I got stopped because my friend, who was the passenger in the car we borrowed, did not strap his seat belt. Good grief! My friend agreed to reimburse me for the fine.

Dodge Doll

O, more times than I care to count, usually for burning through a yellow light with a bus full of bodies...

THE POINT OF NO RETURN rule applies where I live. It says that you can run the yellow if you believe it's unsafe to stop your vehicle in time. I've spat that out more than a dozen times over the years, and driven away with a warning and 15 minutes of wasted time for my efforts.

It's worth a try, guys.