Oil Changes DIY or Pay?

RapidRon

Just wondering how many of you do your own oil changes. I know that this is
a really easy task to do but have never taken a shot at it. It's so easy to drop
your car off to have it done. However, I would like to start doing it myself. Do you save enough money to make it worth it when I can get mine done for around twenty dollars?

MaximumSpeed

My dad and my brother always did their own, but we don't usually have time to mess with it, so we take it somewhere and pay to have it done.

RoadWarrior

There was a time when it was much cheaper to change your own oil than to have it done. Nowadays, five quarts of oil and a quality oil filter costs as much as having it done. I have a mechanic I've known for years who does mine. I buy the oil and filter and he charges me $10 to change it. Pretty good deal, if you ask me.

Smooth

I do it myself, but I tend to do everything other than work on the engine of my car. My car is a such a piece of junk I don't put any money into that I don't have to. I even painted it myself with $80 worth of materials and it turned out 10 times better than it used to look.

Lamboguy

I pay for all oil changes. I'll let someone else get hot and dirty under the car for me. I use to go to a mechanic to do it, but I got tired of hearing my car needed this and that done every single time. I don't need 3000 dollars worth of work done, but that's what they say everytime. I just go to Jiffy Lube now and get it done in moments and don't have to listen to some guy trying to sell me stuff.

philio

I used to pay for it, but then the oil change prices around here went up another $5. Now I do it myself or have a friend do it, although I probably won't let my friend work on my car after the last debacle.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I get free oil changes on my truck, so I go that route. The wifes car if I have time I'll do it, if not I'll take it in.

Hotrod25

It's done here at the house. I can't see paying for something that is so easy to do. We have all the tools and always have oil and filters (we buy oil when it's on sale).

Donald

I usually take my car in for an oil change. It's partly because of the convenience, I'll admit to being a little lazy when I'm tired after a busy day. It's also nice to get other things done at the same time sometimes, like having the tires rotated. If it's time for something like that, then why not have them change my oil too?

silverfox

My older brother changed the oil on his car for the first time the other day. He said he would of done it himself over the years if he had realized how easy it was. Maybe change the oil once yourself, and see how hard you think it is. Then you can decide if you would rather have a garage do it.

vroombaby

I have done both but for us it boils down to if we need anything else at the time of the oil change or if we really have the time to do it. Last time we were in a pinch and needed it the same day we were leaving to attend someones wedding.

Max

It's more messy and time consuming than what I want to deal with. I have to make a special trip to the county landfill to dispose of the used oil too. I'm glad to pay someone.

Devoted2Dodge

When I got my drivers license my dad showed my sister and I how to change the oil in a car. He figured if we knew how to fix car problems ourselves, we would never have to worry or depend on someone else. I sure am glad he taught me. Nowadays, I usually let my husband do it. I also just don't trust most car places. It's funny how you go in to fix something little and leave with problems you did not have before!