One Car Per Family?

vayacondios

Do you think your family could do it? In so many places, this is a rule, and as long as public transport is readily available people seem to make due. What stops you from making this kind of change?

daddysmonkey

We did it for a long time, and it was only as my siblings got older that each of us got cars. If we all would move out, mom and dad would have just one car and each of us would have our cars somewhere else. As we are now, it'd be difficult, but perhaps doable. I hate public transport, but if it were a law to use just one car per household I wouldn't have much choice.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
The wifes parents currently have one car. Her mom does not work, so it helps. But there are still times when things have to be planned carefully or a third party gets involved.

Public transportation is horrible down here.

vayacondios

I imagine public transportation would only get worse in some places if it were required. Then again, the increase of money going into public transport might allow for improved renovations.

tuner

I don't know if my family could have ever done one car. Five kids, two parents, and a live-in housekeeper. The housekeeper may have taken public transport regularly, but five kids with clubs and sports they're involved in just wasn't doable with one car.

Chandler

Yeah, my wife and I only have one car but she doesn't work either. But there are times when she has to take me to work and take the car. It's not really convenient sometimes but it works out. We have no public transportation where we live so if I can't let her have the car, we either cancel the appointment or I take her after I get home.