Ooops, in a borrowed truck!

Leslie

I was borrowing my friend's truck and pulled up to a stop sign and it started smoking! I got out and checked under the hood and the oil was empty and so was the radiator! Oooops. :shocked: Got both refilled and it is working ok, but that could have been BAD!

Lamboguy

Wow, that was a close call. That reminds me, I must go get an oil change this weekend too. I'm over a thousand miles past what they recommended on the little sticker they leave on the window. I'm so lazy when it comes to this.

vroombaby

There was some court show I caught the other day about a guy who had a similar issue but both his oil & radiator were full, he was suing the guy who sold the car to him. No luck, buy "as is". Lucky that your own was okay, this guy was out the money spent.

Hotrod25

Wow, stinks that they would let you take it without checking those things first. It could have been a real mess! Glad you took care of it, it could have cost your friend a lot of money!

Leslie

Yeah, I guess he hasn't been using it much and didn't realize it had gotten low. I know now to check it myself if I'm going to borrow it again! That was scary!

Skippy

That would be scary Leslie. Some people just don't check things like that and it can be dangerous. You should check your fluid levels at least once a month especially if you have an older vehicle. I am glad that no damage was done though.

Leslie

I'm guessing once a month is not often enough for this guy's truck. The thing is probably 25 years old, and I guess it must have a leak, because he said he just filled the radiator the day before.

Skippy

Wow, then he really should have told you that you would have to keep an eye on the fluid levels before he loaned it to you. Crazy! If I was him I would invest in a bottle or 2 of Stop Leak. It's way cheaper than radiator fluid every day.

Leslie

I'll have to tell him about that. How does it work? Can he get it just anywhere, or will he have to go to an auto parts store to get it? Thanks for the recommendation!