Overhang space

vroombaby

I have seen some people with a garage already made like this but the house if we get it, we will need to make the storage. There is plenty of room atop the garage for storage like camping gear and things we do not always use. How though, do you properly secure the beams needed in order to create the over hang?

Are there pre-made ones like this?

Hotrod25

I'm not sure how you create that but it sure looks good. We actually have a 2 story garage. The lower story is where my hubby works on vehicles and it's where all the tools are stored. The upper story is for storage and it's a game room too.

Lamboguy

My mother has the overhang storage in her garage. I think it's a pain, because you have to use a ladder to go up there. I do know someone with actual stairs that goes up to theirs so it's much safer and easier to carry things up and down.

MaximumSpeed

That is very nice! It looks like it may be secured with metal beams rather than wood, which would definitely add to its strength. You wouldn't be able to put a van in there, probably, though.

vroombaby

I might need to take a peek at this again in the near future. We might still need to do this, right now we are going to wait six months before we purchase a new house. We ended up retracting our last offer as we did not feel like having to compromise anything for the amount we planned to pay.

Gomera

My sibling has overhang storage of a sort, which definitely helps in storing things, but in reality is very difficult to get things from. You need to be agile, that's for sure.

Donald

The house I grew up in had overhang storage just like this. We didn't use it all the time, but it's great for things you don't need very often. As for securing the beams, I don't see any major challenges to that. I'd recommend this for exactly the types of items you mentioned. We weren't big campers, but we used it for Christmas stuff and other miscellaneous things.

UGoGirl

My husband created a similar type of storage situation in our garage out of left over lumber that we had. It's great for storing off-season items you want out of the way.

RacecaR

Looks to me like you'd either have to have an extra tall garage or an extra short car to make this work well, but it's a nice idea, sure enough.

Sweet16

Wow, that looks really cool! I wonder if my mom would let me put a shelf like that across the side of my room? It would be handy to have extra storage up high like that!