96 gmc trans trouble

jamie2415

I have a 96 gmc k1500. Transmission is "slipping" but only at a steady speed not during acceleration. I have a 4l60e, it only does this every now and then. When it slips it only jumps 300-400 rpm. Anyone have trouble with this before??

Midnight Tech

Administrator
Welcome to ASF Jamie! How does the tranny fluid look and smell? This could give a clue to what's going on inside there.

Eremon1

I too am having that type of problem with my 96 Olds Cutlass with the 4t60-e transmission. Sometimes it drives normal, and other times it slips out of gears higher than 1st. The RPMS go up and the speedo goes to zero or bounces erratically. It also seems to happen when the engine temp is slightly above normal, which doesn't always happen. Sometimes the temp is normal for a whole drive. Just replaced the vehicle speed sensor and that is when this problem started occuring. If I keep the RPMS under 2100 then it seems to go farther without incident.

I've heard that the Vacuum Modulator Assembly can cause this when it isn't keeping a proper vacuum but I don't know how to test/diagnose that part. Wiring is good because I've gone over the circuit with my VOM and continuity is good.

I've also got brown jellyish sludgy stuff in the rad. I think it's a case of someone adding the green coolant when there was the recommended orange stuff already in the system. I've heard that this causes the sludge. I'm wondering if there is a coolant flow problem to the trany causing it to overheat? This would also cause a VSS to fail, right?

Last edited: