Bike and sidecar

Bridey

I was lucky enough to take a tour around Beijing on a bike and sidecar earlier this year. Now I am becoming obsessed with owning one myself, although so far nobody will actually agree to ride as my passenger should I go ahead!:heh:

Angelinus

That sounds really cool but wasn't the pollution pretty bad? Did you feel safe in a sidecar? Was it cold? I would like to give it a shot but I understand why people would be nervous of trying it.

Byker

I don't like the bikes that have the side cars. I'd much prefer the 3-wheel bikes that have my passenger in back of me. I think it's safer that way, but that's just my personal opinion.

Bridey

I wouldn't say I felt totally safe but that was more down to traffic there than the bike itself. It was very exciting (and yes it was cold.)

Byker, do you mean a trike?

Fanbelt

Riding a sidecar sounds like wonderful, but I think it's more challenging than riding a motorbike or a car. It's difficult to keep the balance especially when you are turning left or right.

Bridey

Fanbelt, I didn't have the opportunity to ride the bike itself because as you said it is something that you need training for. The guy driving me said it is sometimes hard to corner when the sidecar is empty. I would think the weight of your passenger would matter too.

Gomera

I have never been in one, but I do think they are neat little 'accessories' to the regular motorcyle. I remember when The Andy Griffith Show did an episode with Barney and a sidecar. It's a real laugher.

Kohn

I saw a park that offered rides like that. I didn't ride myself because obviously I was oversized. But my teenage niece rode on one while her toddler brother rode on the sidecar. They looked really cute.