Buying From An Individual

MustangSally

Are there any advantages to buying from an individual? It doesn't appear to me like there would be any, but there would be disadvantages. I'm thinking about buying a Mustang from an individual. I need to know what to do before I sign any papers.

minyoung

I see two benefits of buying from an individual. One, you can negotiate the price and get a deal very quickly. Second, you have someone to ask in case you have questions about the Mustang. The key thing here is knowing how to evaluate a car. Make sure you test drive it. Then inspect it inside out before committing to it.

HondaMan

There is great benefit from buying from the owner versus buying from a dealer. The owner knows the car and knows any problems with the car and you're likely to get a lower price with the owner than with a dealer.

Angelinus

I agree with what people have said, just be sure of a couple of things. Firstly, check carefully that the person selling it is the actual owner! I also recommend an independent mechanic checks it over.

Kohn

If you know the guy to some extent, or at least have three reliable third party references about him, then that would be great. What we want to avoid is someone sells you junk. Given all things equal, I would prefer to buy from a lady seller than from a guy.

Justifiably or not, I just have this feeling that lady owners are more careful about their cars than guys. Of course there are exceptions. I do not mean to be sexist here. I'm a guy, and I won't get offended when I hear someone say the same.

Fanbelt

Are there any advantages to buying from an individual? It doesn't appear to me like there would be any, but there would be disadvantages. I'm thinking about buying a Mustang from an individual. I need to know what to do before I sign any papers.
It will benefit both the seller and the buyer because there is no middleman who tries to make profit from the deal. So, the buyer will have to pay less while the buyer still get more. I think it's a win-win situation.

FiveSpeed

When checking kbb.com or other pricing guides, there are usually three prices: trade-in, retail and private party. Generally, you should get a better price from a private party than from a retail sale. Of course, when you trade a car in to the dealer for another car, you get the least amount.