Car Recalls

minyoung

How is a car recall actually implemented? I haven't experienced it yet. So I wonder who calls the car owner, how the modification is implemented, how long it takes and so on until you get the unit back.

Lizzie

A few years ago, I had a car had was recalled due to ignition problems. I didn't take it to the dealer right away. I can say that they persisted a lot. I used to get letters all the time.

Benny

You usually get cards or letters telling you about recalls. If you have heard of one that you haven't been notified of, call the dealership you bought your vehicle from and they can give you more details or make you an appointment. They don't want those recalls to sit unanswered. If it's something life threatening, it's in your and their best interest to get them taken care of.

minyoung

The reason I asked is that some years back, friends of mine died when the Ford Explorer they rented turned turtle while driving at maximum allowable speed. They died on the spot. There was no recall of Ford units. I guess their case was among those used by Ford to stop their deal with Firestone.