Charging Stations

Lizzie

I am trying to find out information about electric cars. I would really like to buy one. I mainly travel less than 30 miles a day which makes it great for not using all the charge. However, I also enjoy taking long drives and visiting my brother who lives about 13 hours away. Are there going to charging stations? How do we find them? How much do they charge?

Monty Carlos

I don't know that I would trust taking an electric car on a very long drive just yet. Charging stations may be few and far between, and if you do find one, you may have to sit and wait a long time for it to charge....

philio

You could go with the Chevy VOLT. It has a generator on board so you can make long trips if you need to. I have not heard anything about the electric charging stations just yet.

Guy

From what I understand, the Volt's primary propulsion system is the electric battery, with a gasoline system as a back up, but with the primary role of keeping the electric battery charged. That's the beauty of the Volt.

coup

Yeah, I wish I had a Volt. I do hope that I can get an electric car one day. Right now I have to get my finances straight before I can even think about getting another car!

Mario

From what I understand, most electric and hybrid cars can be recharged from a plain old domestic wall socket. There are also more high powered charging stations that can be installed.

HondaMan

I've been seeing commercials for a product called "Watt Station" by GE. Apparently they're being installed (not sure where) in various places so owners of all-electric vehicles can charge up on the go. I think this is a step in the right direction.

minyoung

It would still take up time before charging stations would be deployed across interstates. The volume of users may not make that a viable proposition at this point. But we would get there. I presume car manufacturers have ways around it.

At this time the best option is a hybrid car for long distances.

Kohn

I am trying to find out information about electric cars. I would really like to buy one. I mainly travel less than 30 miles a day which makes it great for not using all the charge. However, I also enjoy taking long drives and visiting my brother who lives about 13 hours away. Are there going to charging stations? How do we find them? How much do they charge?
Electric car that runs 73 miles on a fully charged battery. Price tag $33K.
Nissan Sees Electric Car Envy in Critics of the Leaf

This may be perfect for you.

But in visiting your brother, you either bring extra batteries, stick to your gas or ride a bus.