Check for kitties!

NeedNewWheels

My friend just showed me a little sign that has been passed around online about how cat seek refuge in the wheel wells of cars this time of the year, since it's so cold. If you have a lot of outdoor cats in your area, be careful!

Lamboguy

I hope I never witness that. There is one very sad story my girlfriend told me. They have a cat that lives in their garage and it had kittens. One of the little kittens curled up behind the wheel of their car and went to sleep. That is all I will say about that story, because I hate it.

FiveSpeed

Yeah, I unfortunately had this happen to me once. My two outside cats curled up in the warm engine compartment one cold winter night, and the next morning, I started the car. I have never heard the yelling and hissing that I heard that night! It chopped two toes of one cat and the ear off of the other. Thankfully, that's the worse that happened. But they do tend to crawl in the engine on cold nights, especially when it's still warm from driving.

FenderBender

I have never really thought about it but I guess any small animal might do that to keep warm on a winters night. I don't think there are any cats in my neighborhood though so I guess it's ok.

Hotrod25

My outdoor cat likes to lay under my car when I park it for the night. It's odd! I did not know that cats liked to get in wheel wells - that is spooky! I will be checking from now on.

SpeedyG

I could not imagine getting in the car to go to work one morning and that happening to me. What a terrible way to start the day.

NeedNewWheels

I know, it would be absolutely terrible and I'm sad to hear how often it has happened to others. I am always so paranoid that I am going to back up over an animal or a child (even though there are none around here).

AWOL

It's an awful thought having that happen to someone. Thankfully it hasn't happened to me, and I hope it never does. It's something I need to be concerned with as we have a lot of wild cats around our area that wander into the yard occasionally after mice or birds.

vroombaby

We have an outside cat and sometimes strays that get into the yard, even fences do not stop these wild cats. We always beep the alarm before we get to the car and then the horn after just in case.

NeedNewWheels

I just read a story about a kitten that wanted to sleep near a fan belt in the car. Well, somebody started the car and the kitten's face was pretty torn up. A skilled veterinarian was able to repair the damage and the kitten was okay in the end.

Guy

I had a friend who lives out in the boonies tell me that a squirrel liked to hang out under the hood of her car. Her dog was pitching a fit one morning, so she popped the hood and there it was.

Alexus

I think I've actually cats hide in my car. I've seen them appear sort of suddenly when I start my car. But, honestly, who stops to think about checking every time?