check your mirrors

jason

Administrator
Staff member
The thread about driving with two hands had me thinking. How often do you check your side and/or rear view mirrors?

vroombaby

More than most do but my spouse is worse at it. Coming from CA he tends to always think there are a ton of cars behind him in rush hour, lots to learn living on a new coast line!

Lamboguy

I live in a high traffic area so I do look at my mirrors often. I also turn my head to look back when I'm switching lanes. I'm a safe driver so I use all the tools at my disposal.

Smooth

I usually check my mirrors only when changing lanes. The only other reason I might check my mirrors is if I am going a little bit over the speed limit and want to check for cops.

MaximumSpeed

I was taught to check my mirrors regularly, so that is a habit of mine. My spouse rarely uses mirrors and it drives me crazy! I also turn around to check when changing lanes.

philio

I always check my mirrors. My girlfriend, on the other hand, never checks her mirrors. When I ride with her I want to wear full body armor because she is so oblivious.

Max

I was taught to check them regularly. The principle behind doing so is to be continually abreast of where your vehicle is relative to traffic around you, which is always changing.

silverfox

Constantly. I am always afraid someone is going to rear end me(as if there was anything I could do about it anyway). I don't trust mirrors when switching lanes so I always turn my head and look.

Donald

I usually check my mirrors only when changing lanes. The only other reason I might check my mirrors is if I am going a little bit over the speed limit and want to check for cops.
I also instinctively check my mirrors for cops. I don't drive too fast anymore, but I think it's a habit I have from when I used to speed a lot. Other than cops, I don't see the point in checking your mirrors very often when you're not changing lanes. What can you really do about the traffic behind you?

Devoted2Dodge

I mainly use my mirrors for changing lanes. I still look back real quick because I just don't trust the mirrors. I sometimes check the rearview mirror just to see what's behind me.

MotorX

I keep an eye on my mirrors (motorcycle, not car) all the time because if something is coming up behind me and I think they don't see me, I can change lanes or something.

NeedNewWheels

There are seriously people that rarely use their mirrors? That scares me. You should be aware of where the cars are around you in case you need to make a quick maneuver.

Skippy

I never check my mirrors because I grew up driving a car that had no rear view, so I just got used to it. I think it's a bad habit to rely on the mirrors anyway.