Close Call Last Week

Lindsey

We've hardly had any snow yet. But we live on a rural concession and because the road is north of our wooded property, it can get pretty slick in a hurry. My son was driving my car and hit a patch of ice which caused him to veer off toward the ditch. Thank goodness, he was able to regain control before ending up in the ditch. Anybody have any near-miss stories?

Hotrod25

I'm glad to hear that he was able to self-correct prior to landing in the ditch! None yet this year (thankful and knock on wood). It does get pretty messy out there quickly, so everyone please be safe.

Bentley

Wow, that's scary! Thank goodness he didn't land in the ditch! So far, this year, we have been really lucky. We haven't had any snow or ice, for that matter. Hopefully it will continue to be that way.

MaximumSpeed

Good for him! It isn't easy to regain control once a car has begun to slide. Shows he is a good driver. I haven't had any near-misses this year, but last year we were driving north through a bit of a snowstorm in the 15-passenger van, towing a trailer, when something (not sure if it was a gust of wind or a patch of ice) started the whole thing fishtailing. It was a harrowing minute before it was under control again, but the rest of the trip was uneventful.

Lamboguy

I've had plenty of near-misses happen when I was younger and lived in Michigan. One time I was coming home from work and I was going really slow but it didn't matter with all the ice on the road. I tried to stop at a light but I kept going and had no control. my car literally spun around 360 degrees with traffic coming at me. It was scary, but I lived.

FenderBender

Michigan winters are pretty unpredictable Lambo. We had ice about a month ago and I did a little fishtailing but nothing too scary. As long as everyone remembers to drive safely and drive for road conditions everything will be all good.

Lindsey

I'm not sure it's the drivers in Michigan or the lack of road maintenance. I live across the border but I sometimes listen to a talk show in Detroit and they often bemoan the fact that there never seem to be plows or salt trucks out on the interstate during storms.

vroombaby

We have a nice night full of rain that froze over, I actually watched as someone came down our road and knocked out three mailboxes and just barely missed a tree. I have no idea how fast the guy was going and he was okay, but wow.

PEZluvr

I can sort of understand people driving home in the snow and ice because they want to get home... but I do not get why people go OUT when it's slippery!

DMan

For those of us who drove before anti-lock brakes, a situation like this would probably be even more challenging because we'd be thinking to pump the brakes.