Different Licence?

daddysmonkey

I've heard that in some place, a different driver's licence or licence class is required to drive a motorcycle. Is this true anywhere in the US? Are there motorcycle driving schools just like for cars?

Trucker12

I think you have to have a different license to drive a motorcycle. I don't know if there are driving schools for motorcycles, I've never seen any advertised anyway.

hotrod

There are motorcycle safety classes that are held all over the US, but it isn't like you have to take a drivers course and pass it. You do have to go take a separate test in most states but it is usually just a written test.

daddysmonkey

Thanks for the info, hotrod! I think I would take a safety class simply because there's no one in my family that rides motorcycles, but I really want to learn and get one for myself.

Candle

I believe they should make the safety class mandatory and once you pass that, you would get a separate class on your existing license. It seems to me, as a non driver of motorcycles, that they must require a very different method of driving. Of course I could very well be wrong.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Florida now requires that you take a motorcycle safety course before taking the test. All the Harley dealers in my area offer the test, along with various 3rd party companies. The test at Harley was Thursday and Friday from 6pm-9pm and saturday and sunday, from I think 8 or 9 am until 4 or 5 pm. Thursday and Friday you are in class, learning rules and such, and have a shifter you can learn on. Saturday and Sunday you are on the bike learning, with a test usually Sunday for your endorsement.