Dimming Lights

Kohn

A car I met one evening in a country road didn't dim his lights in time. When he finally did, I already slowed down as a precaution against something I may not have seen ahead of me.

How far ahead from the approaching vehicle should one dim one's lights during an evening drive along a two-way street in the country?

TransAm

Where I am, high beam lights should be dimmed if there is an approaching car within 200m, or you are behind a car that is less than 200m away. Rules and distances may vary depending on which country you are in.

hotrodSteve

I'm not sure what the distance for dimming lights is here. I dim them almost as soon as I see an approaching vehicle unless it's where I can see far ahead. If I'm behind someone, I drive on dims unless the car is far ahead of me.

MaximumSpeed

I do like Steve does. I prefer others to dim theirs as soon as possible, therefore, I dim mine as soon as possible, also. I don't know what the law is, but it works to do it that way!

fiat500

Some drivers do seem to ignore they're not the only ones on the road. I dim the lights at a discretionary distance or before they clash brightness. Behind someone, there's no need to use it.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
As soon as I see their lights I switch to low beams. Same with when following. But even with the low beams I get flashed by people who think my highs are on sometimes.

Kohn

The only defense I know against someone who does not dim his lights is to slow down. It's quite inconvenient when you're in a hurry.

But then, is it possible that the car I met was already on low beam? I believe there's a certain adjustment that needs to be done on the lights for proper dimming.