Do I really need a muffler

Hotrod25

My car is getting loud - truth be told I ran over something in the middle of the road a couple of weeks ago. I think I might have ruined the muffler or pipes under there. Do we really need all of those? I hear they are pretty expensive to fix or replace.

Opal

I don't know where you are hotrod, but it's the law here that you have to have all the muffler workings. It has to do with the noise level and emmisions standards. You may want to get that checked.

Marcus

As Opal said, I think it's a law in most states. To save some money, you could go to a u-pull-it type of place and remove the muffler system from the same car as yours, find a mechanic that welds, and have him put it on for you. I just did this about six months ago and I saved myself a small fortune.

RoseRed

Yes, I'm pretty sure you have to have a muffler due to noise ordinances. Whenever I've driven a car with a failing muffler, I myself was annoyed at the noise.

Hopefully you can follow Marcus's suggestion to save some money.

FenderBender

Most places do require a muffler so you do need to get it fixed. It could also be a gasket in the muffler so have it checked out. I had a loud muffler and all I had to get was a $2 gasket to replace the one that blew. Mufflers aren't super expensive either. I think you can pick one up for around $100.

Hotrod25

Well I had it looked at and it is the whole muffler and catalytic converter - very expensive. My hubby is going to put it on to save us money on the labor. Still quite expensive.!

codysalvick

I am agree with you.

Yes, I'm pretty sure you have to have a muffler due to noise ordinances. Whenever I've driven a car with a failing muffler, I myself was annoyed at the noise.

Hopefully you can follow Marcus's suggestion to save some money.