Do you Need A License to Drive a Scooter

Candle

I have been thinking of buying a scooter, just to get around the city to fiends and run errands etc. Does anyone know if you need a drivers license to drive a scooter? I know there are differences in different areas, but I would be interesting in learning what differ jurisdictions require.

tuner

I'm pretty sure that you do; in places I've traveled, you definitely need a license to rent a scooter, but I guess that could just be a requirement on the rental company's part to try to lower the chance of accidents.

HondaMan

Yes, you need a motorcycle license. A scooter, whether one meant to ride around on surface streets or one meant to run 80 mph down the interstate, is just like a motorcycle as far as licensing is concerned.

Guy

Here where I live there is a place that rents them to tourists in the summer. I wonder how they handle the licensing issue? Maybe it varies from state to state or something.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
If you go low enough CC you do not need a motorcycle license in the state of Florida. At least that is what the scooter lady I used to deliver to told me. I forget what the range is though. But she had some neat scooters.