Driver Training for Young Kids

Buyer

I know in some countries, it's possible to get driving training for younger kids-from 11, 12 or 13 years old. It does not in any way enable them to go on the road-they are still too young. But it's legal, private, off road training that helps prepare them for when it's time, and helps to curb the boy racer instincts.

What do you think of it, and would you be interested in sending your kid on a course?

TopGear

It sounds like an excellent way to help your kids get experience before they are allowed on a real road. I wish that courses like that were available here!

Mustard

Courses like this would help to reduce the number of young driver deaths I'm sure, but only if the courses were made a requirement. Too many would opt out otherwise.

Replicant

What countries offer these courses? They do sound incredibly useful, but I've never heard of anything like this before-certainly not around here.

MaximumSpeed

Sounds a lot like a go-cart place, on a slightly larger scale. I know few kids who would opt out, if they had a choice, honestly. What 11-13 year old would choose to NOT drive if they had a chance to? I know MINE would jump at something like that!

KC23

I think this would be an excellent idea to make a requirement. I think a lot of teenage deaths could have been avoided with a little more training and education.

Sweet16

I wish they had offered something like that here when I was 13!! That would have been awesome!! Then I wouldn't have had to wait until I turned 16!

TopGear

Sweden, Scandinavia and the UK for certain offer courses like this. They are for kids age 11 and up who are at least 1.5m tall. They can potentially train for six years before ever being old enough to get a learner's permit.

Replicant

I looked up information for those countries. The training is just done on private land, as someone said like a scaled up go-kart. I think it provides invaluable training, and Scandinavia seems to have wonderful results from it.