Driving through high water

Max

We had lots of snow, then a major warming trend. Things melted down quickly, and there's lots of standing water and a threat of flooding. I know driving through high water is not good for vehicles, but what can happen?

Mustang37

The high water can make your car stall and then you are pretty much stuck in it. You can also get water up inside your muffler and exhaust and that is not good either. Fast moving water also could carry your car along with it and then you would be at the waters mercy!

Jess28

I believe Mustang got it right on, it's dangerous and you could stall out. Once you are stalled out you won't be able to start the car again (not while in the water). There has to be other reasons too.

hotrodSteve

When I was in high school, a couple of kids on a date tried to cross over a short slab bridge that was flooded. They drowned when the water swept them downstream. It doesn't take much water, really, to stall out a car or sweep you off a bridge. Also, you can't see under that water to know if the road is washed out. It's best not to drive through it!

jason

Administrator
Staff member
No more then 6 inches of standing water, 4 inches if moving. Watch someone else navigate through it if possible. Watch for hidden dips, and where the road has washed away or debris has gotten stuck. Stay on the crown of the road where possible, and go slow in first gear and try and keep the engine revved up to help water from getting in the exhaust pipe. Going fast will cause water to enter engine bay. Dry the breaks gently but applying light pressure to the break petal.

As far as what can happen I think that has been well covered. Anything from stalling out, to being swept away.

Kohn

This is an advise that's best for those with gas-fueled cars. These cars stall easily in waters higher than about six inches. Diesel-fueled engines, in my experience, have high tolerance for water.

MaximumSpeed

It seems like it would be even more dangerous for an electric or hybrid vehicle. Since the driver would not be grounded, there shouldn't be any worry about shock; but damage to the vehicle is almost guaranteed.