Ethanol Enriched Gas Affects Performance?

Chandler

I have been using the ethanol enriched gas in my car and I've been noticing some hesitation as well as some spitting and sputtering at times. Could it possibly be the gas I'm using?

Candle

I tried to do some research on ethanol in gas causing damage to car engines, but all I could find was the problems ethanol additives case in boat motors. Can anyone find some ligature on the damage ethanol additives cause to car engines? It would be interesting to read.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I know the ethanol eats up fuel filters and other parts to lawn mowers if it sits too long. I think some older cars have some problems with higher ethanol gases. I think they are bumping it up to 15 or 20% soon. I read an article on it and said it should not affect 200x cars or newer.

Chandler

That's not good. I have an old 1998 Chevy Impala that I'm trying to keep running for a while. I drive this one back and forth to work and would love to be able to keep it going as long as possible. I wonder if I'm already having trouble with the level that they have in the gas now, what's going to happen to my old girl when they up the precentage?

General

There should be gas available with lower levels of ethenal for old cars. Otherwise, what will happen to all the old classic and antique cars out there that people drive. Jason, that is a good point about not letting the gas sit in the cars/lawnmowers. I have a couple of antique cars, and I should drain them every fall when I put them away for the winter.