Flip flops while driving?

KC23

Does anyone else find this dangerous? Maybe it's just my shoes, but when I try to drive with them, they move around and slip off of the pedal.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Never done flip flops. But haven driven with sandals. They are little bit more secure to the foot though. I would rather drive barefoot then with flip flops.

Dodge Doll

Where I am, it's ILLEGAL to drive barefoot.... yet I find it dangerous to drive in flip-flops, and those ARE legal: I'd think barefoot would be safer?

Then again... I won't drive in heels anymore, I'll change my shoes to drive.

MaximumSpeed

I haven't really had a problem with flip-flops, but I can see where being barefoot would be more comfortable. Where is it illegal to drive barefoot, and do you know why?

MyMotor

There really should be more regulation regarding footwear. I've accidentally worn backless shoes in the past and found the shoe slipping off. It could be a real problem.

Vroooom_1972

Well, even if it is illegal, I tend to take my flip flops off when driving. I rather do this than have them slip off. I also take some of my higher heels off. Why is driving barefooted illegal?

Fanbelt

I never get used to driving with shoes, as odd as it sounds. I have no issue driving with flip flops, but for me driving barefoot is the best.

Dodge Doll

I know that law exists in California... and while it makes little sense to me, Vrroom 1972 explains quite nicely why flip-flops aren't the best to drive in, in the first place.

Some of the shoes women choose to drive in, boggle my mind.... they're hard enough to walk in, now you're going to operate a 2500 lb piece of machinery in them? OY!

vroombaby

I think barefoot is a no no anywhere in the US. I like that on the DMV website there is no answer for this too. For me, I always grew up hearing it was a no no and I have tried and hated it. I hate wearing sandals to drive too, even when the strap is almost to my ankle.

Fanbelt

Thanks so much Leslie for doing the research. As I mentioned before, I love to drive barefoot, and now at least I know that you will not get a ticket for driving barefoot. :)