Food and drink in the car

Bridey

Recently I decided to ban all food and drink in my car. I was tired of the smells from fast food snacks and the spills from soda cups. Plain water is fine of course. My friends are still complaining but I am going to stick with it.

MustangSally

I don't blame you! It seems like no matter how careful you are, food and drinks get spilled, usually at the most inopportune time to get them cleaned up. Your friends will get used to not eating and drinking in your car. It just takes a little time.

Angelinus

I agree, it's a great idea. These days people don't expect to smoke in someone else's car so why should they feel free to eat too? Apart from the smell you risk greasy fingers on your interiors too!

HondaMan

I've disallowed food and drinks from my car a long time ago. I don't want my car interior smelling like stale McDonald's. Besides, no matter how "good friends" your friends are, they'll never take the same amount of care inside your car than you.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I do my best, but sometimes it is hard with a pregnant wife and 2 year old. I really need to get in there and clean it out after the driving we did this weekend.

Fanbelt

Recently I decided to ban all food and drink in my car. I was tired of the smells from fast food snacks and the spills from soda cups. Plain water is fine of course. My friends are still complaining but I am going to stick with it.
I would do the same if I were you. You are a good person already by giving your friends a ride. You wouldn't be better by letting them eat in your car.

Kohn

This seldom happens so I really didn't give this much thought. But I see the sense of it. I wonder however how you communicate this policy to your friends? A policy that everyone already knows is much simpler to enforce. It's laying it down the first time that may be a bit delicate.

Speedo

My kids play sports. Because of their ages, no two are on the same team. If we did not eat in the car, there would be many nights that we would not eat at all. It seems that the only times coaches know for practices are 5:30 or 6:00. It's also not uncommon to have games on Saturdays at 10:30, 12:00 and 1:00, all at different fields around town. Much as I would love to sit us all down, either at home or in a restaurant, there are times that the choice is to down a ham sandwich in the car or skip lunch altogether.

The other time I eat in the car is when I am driving alone late at night. Food and caffeine help me stay awake, and water just doesn't cut it.

Marvin

I kind of figure if I have to be eating in my car because I don't have time to stop and sit at a table to eat, then I need to reassess where my prioritites are.

Max

I limit what can be eaten in the car to only dry, cruchy stuff, the crumbs of which can be brushed away easily. But NO liquids at all.

avamerican

When our vehicle was brand new, we tried to uphold that rule for the
longest time, but with kids that isn't easy to do so eventually we gave in and
let them have snacks. Then that turned into fast food and so on. I noticed that
once we started doing that, my car interior got torn up really quickly. Now the
carpet is destroyed and there is gum and food stuck in crevices where it will
never come out. We don't plan to use it as a trade-in so that's fine. I'm just saying
if you want to keep your car nice for as long as possible, don't allow food in it!
At least with kids.