Garage, cover or nothing?

chillen

Currently my answer is nothing and I need to change that. Sometimes we get nasty storms here and I do not want my babes dinged up from random sleet action going on. I am still debating a garage (which we would need to build) or a carport (cheaper) or just a cover.

Weezer

We have moved in the last little bit so-No, not right now. I am going to try to at least get one of those aluminum freestanding awnings to park under. We have many hazards in our area which, believe it or not, includes flying/gliding wild turkeys. I don't want to have one of those bad boys thump into my vehicle.

Classic

Yeah my car is out in the open too and once suffered some hail damage. You do what you need to do, and unfortunately that sometimes falls short.

Mustang37

You will love this, We have a 3 car garage and only my vehicle goes in it. The other 2 bays are full of tractors! So I say I am having 1 bay and he can keep his vehicles out in the snow/rain/weather!

Racer220

My car is out. I live in the south and we do not get any snow or anything on a regular basis, so no need to cover. I honestly have not seen anyone use those plastic covers in years. Do people still use those in your areas guys?

Miata_Matyr

I've had a lock up garage for a year and only just cleared it out so I could fit my car in. A week later Perth suffered a flash hail storm, hundreds of cars were damaged- my car didn't get one dent! Thank you garage!

HomeMechanic

I always wish that I had a garage but I have nothing but a car port attached to my house. It wouldn't take much to enclose it but I just need to money to do it.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Here in Florida the garage is for storage of things most have a basement for. I did have the mustang in the garage, but after getting married I have since lost the garage.

Now they just sit in the drive way.

MiniMe

Unfortunately for me, I don't have a garage. I will need to move to another house that has a garage so that my car would be safe from bad weather.

chillen

Imagine my surprised when I moved back to the east coast to buy a house that did not have a basement. :rolleyes: We are still debating the idea, but I am not sure if this is the house I want to spend extra on a garage for, I need to know how long I will be here first.

MiniMe

I have a garage but it was taken over by stuffs. I parked my car in-front of the house and has no covering. I have a cover for it but I'm too lazy to place it everyday.

Robert

I do not have my vehicle covered. I have a remote starter though. I just push the button and my vehicle is nice and warm and defrosted when I get outside in the morning. Only thing it won't do is shovel all the snow we get.

chillen

I don't think a cover would be too bad unless it ripped (weather wear and tear type), how long do they usually last? The only thing that bothers me is the ice in the winter as its a killer for many cars in this area.

bennies

I am really starting to think that a carport might benefit us here, but what is the worth of it? At some point we might sell this place, how much value does it add in comparison to a garage?