Getting a motor home

NeedNewWheels

What kinds of things should one consider when purchasing a motor home? I'm looking to get one sometime within the next year and I am trying to decide - new or used first?

MaximumSpeed

Well, you're going to need to know if you want one that drives itself, or one that you can pull behind a truck. You also need to know how many you need to sleep.

NeedNewWheels

I would like a motor home that you drive yourself, not one that is pulled behind. I don't know how many I really need to sleep. I would say 4 at the most. Usually it would be just 2 people.

Leslie

I think if I was going to get one, I'd want the type you drive, too. It just seems a lot nicer to ride, and if you have to pull over to rest, you can *lay down* and rest!

Hotrod25

Great question... Of course you would need to know if you could pull it with your vehicle, or are you thinking of buying one that you drive? Those are cool too. I would probably go with the kind you drive. That way other people could be in the motor home while you are driving.

vroombaby

Are you taking about getting a full RV like a 5th wheel type or a free standing one? A friend of mine is doing the same within the next month and I am going to tag along with her for backup.

FenderBender

You can find a lot of quality used motor homes at sales lots and on Craigslist. I would probably go used myself because the new ones can cost over $20, 000! My parents have a pull behind that they bought new 15 years ago and it cost them $15, 000.

Devoted2Dodge

I would go with a used one. Just walk inside the rv and check the ceiling for water spots. You do not want a leaky rv! Ask, whoever is selling the rv, about the gas mileage. Gas is so expensive, you will need to factor in how much gas the rv takes. There would be no sense in buying an rv, and then not being able to afford the gas for trips. You also might need to ask when the rv last had maintenance, like oil check, because you will want to know about any issues the engine might have.

There are so many layouts for the inside of an rv. You will want to walk around the inside to make sure your comfortable. You want enough room that you will be comfortable. Imagine some things you would be doing, while on a trip, and see if it is possible in the square footage. Maxamize your living space by opting for hidden beds for your extra 2 guests. I have seen tables in an rv that turn into beds. You can always throw a foam crate on it to make it extra comfortable. I almost forgot about storage space! Make sure there is storage for anything you would bring.

NeedNewWheels

I would go with a used one. Just walk inside the rv and check the ceiling for water spots. You do not want a leaky rv! Ask, whoever is selling the rv, about the gas mileage. Gas is so expensive, you will need to factor in how much gas the rv takes. There would be no sense in buying an rv, and then not being able to afford the gas for trips. You also might need to ask when the rv last had maintenance, like oil check, because you will want to know about any issues the engine might have.

There are so many layouts for the inside of an rv. You will want to walk around the inside to make sure your comfortable. You want enough room that you will be comfortable. Imagine some things you would be doing, while on a trip, and see if it is possible in the square footage. Maxamize your living space by opting for hidden beds for your extra 2 guests. I have seen tables in an rv that turn into beds. You can always throw a foam crate on it to make it extra comfortable. I almost forgot about storage space! Make sure there is storage for anything you would bring.
Thank you! Your advice is really helpful. I am going to look at different layouts and make sure that I am looking at all my options. I will also make sure to ask about hidden beds for extra guests so we aren't so limited about bringing people with us.