Headlight out

Mustang37

Grrr... I was driving home last night from a fireworks show. There were tons of cops all around directing traffic and I had a headlight out. I didn't know prior to leaving or I would have changed it!

Luckily for me, they just told me to fix it. I think it was too busy to try to stop me and right me a ticket!

mobilityuser4

That was lucky. Luckier is that you can! I know someone who bought a slightly used car. The model they had, had been designed so only the shop could change the headlight!! What a headache! I think it was a Ford Explorer.

ginger

I have never been ticketed for a head light out. Around here though they are famous for ticketing if your license plate light is out. They say that's a sure fire way to find someone breaking the law.

Mustang37

I don't have a license plate light. Must be a state thing, if you have to have one. I was lucky that we could change it ourselves, I can't imagine having to take the car to the shop to change the headlight.

ginger

Really?

If you don't mind me asking, What sort of car do you drive with no license plate light. Is it a mustang or older car? Is there really no law around there about having a light over the license plate?

Slowpoke

I do not know of any state that allows cars to have no license plate lights. I believe it is illegal to not have license plate lights.

chevygirl

I have never been pulled over for this, but I was in the car with someone who was. I think they generally do not give tickets, especially if you profess that you didn't know about it. The person I was with got a warning after being pulled over at almost 3 in the morning. I think they are much less lenient about license plate lights, though.

AlabamaAllen

It's really common where I live to be pulled over for a light out. They issue a warning and then if you get caught AGAIN without having it fixed, you get a citation. But they are pretty cool if you just found it.

Mustang37

It's the same here usually, a warning and then you have to take your receipt for the light or the mechanics to the police station to prove that you actually fixed it. Too much of a hassle for me.