Headlights Are So Clean

Lindsey

Over time, the headlights on my 10 year old car have gotten a thin layer of "stuff" on them. I have been noticing that they didn't seem as bright as they should be. But when my husband drove my car, he noticed how bad they'd become. So he went out and bought a product to clean them up. I drove it tonight for the first time, and wow what a difference.

Lamboguy

I'm having that same problem with the headlights on my Altima with a thin layer of film. I don't know how to get inside the covers though because they aren't like my old car where I could unscrew them from the outside. I might have to ask a mechanic if I want to get them cleaned.

MaximumSpeed

I found that cleaning solution by accident when I was looking for something else last week. It really is amazing stuff! Light is so much better when the lenses are clean!

Hotrod25

What did he buy? What was the product? I would be interested in buying it too. I know my lights are not as bright as they should be. I was thinking about changing the lights out.

Lindsey

I don't know the name of the product, but it was something like New Lite. You don't have to remove the lens cover to clean it. Doing just the outside worked for my car.

PEZluvr

I never even thought about cleaning the headlights separately. They get cleaned when I wash the car, I think, but I never paid any extra attention to them.

Alexus

I had a serious problem once with an older car. The headlights were so yellow and nasty, I had a hard time driving with them at night. I recently saw an ad for a product that made the headlights clean and look like new. I don't recall the name of it, but I remember wishing I would have seen that ad back then!

FenderBender

I never really thought about doing them separately either. My lights are rather bright though and I think it is probably good if I have thin layer of dust dimming them a bit.

Bentley

What product did he buy? A while back, I remember seeing some commercials on the TV about a product that would help defog (or whatever) your headlights, but I can't for the life of me remember what it was called.

RoadWarrior

Most cars nowadays (and for the past several years) use headlight lenses that are made from a plastic material. Well, with age, light and road exposure, most of these lenses eventually yellow or cloud, and become brittle. There are several "headlight restorers" on the market (check your local auto parts store), and most work pretty well. Of course, you'll probably have to redo them about once a year, as the oxidation process never stops.

Retread

Ammonia and water

I've been using a solution of light ammonia and water about once every three months on my headlights. My father used to do this, so I did it, too. I thought it was working fine. Of course, I never mix ammonia with anything other than water because it can emit dangerous fumes.