How do you feel about the legal driving age?

Donald

Sometimes I wonder if 16 is a little young to be letting all kids drive by themselves. Plenty of teenagers are mature enough to handle this privilege, but I wish we could weed out the bad ones. Maybe rather than simply changing the age, good grades in school should be required? I guess I just think that for those under 18, some other sign of discipline should have to be shown to get a license. Passing the driver's test is pretty easy, I think I could've done it when I was 10 if I had to.

Fanbelt

Yeah, I think it's a bit too early for a 16 year old kid to get the driver's license. The authority should increase the age limit to at least 18. Driving a car can be more dangerous than watching po*n, right?

Vroooom_1972

I think they should be allowed to drive at 16, but with limitations. If they are caught doing something wrong, they should be penalized and not allowed to drive until they are 18. I think there are adults of all ages doing worse things than the teenagers are. I see all the time guys driving trucks while hand holding their cells. I have also seen them drinking, smoking and eating. Teenagers are just doing what they see the adults doing. If we were giving them a better example, maybe they would be doing better.

MaximumSpeed

It is pretty much that way where I live, Vroooom. The learner's license lasts up to 4 years, but the real license is marked "Under 18" until their 18th birthday and if they do wrong with an Under 18 license, it affect them differently than it does someone over 18.

Donald

You all make pretty good points, although I think Fanbelt's was definitely the funniest! In general I feel like the legal age for many things in America is a little weird. For example, I always thought that if you can get drafted to the military when you're 18, then the legal drinking age should be 18 too.

As for limitations for young drivers, I generally agree that having these is a good thing. I believe they exist already, at least in most states. It is pretty easy to ignore the restrictions until you are caught though. It only takes one mistake to cause a death too, so I still wonder if these laws are really enough.

Jon

I think they should be allowed to drive at 16, but with limitations. If they are caught doing something wrong, they should be penalized and not allowed to drive until they are 18. I think there are adults of all ages doing worse things than the teenagers are. I see all the time guys driving trucks while hand holding their cells. I have also seen them drinking, smoking and eating. Teenagers are just doing what they see the adults doing. If we were giving them a better example, maybe they would be doing better.
My only problem with that is that most adults have way more driving experience than 16, 17, 18 year olds do. I would like to see the minimum age bumped up to at least 17 years old. Most teens mature a lot between 16 and 17. And I think we, as parents, shouldn't be turning them loose as soon as they get their license. Make them stay close to home, no passengers, no loud music, until they show you that they can drive safely.

Donald

My only problem with that is that most adults have way more driving experience than 16, 17, 18 year olds do. I would like to see the minimum age bumped up to at least 17 years old. Most teens mature a lot between 16 and 17. And I think we, as parents, shouldn't be turning them loose as soon as they get their license. Make them stay close to home, no passengers, no loud music, until they show you that they can drive safely.
I agree with the idea of parents setting strict limits, but the problem is that some parents are unable to keep their teenagers under control. I hate trusting a bad parent to keep their kid in check when it comes to something like driving. When you're 18, at least you're an adult, and the responsibility no longer lies with the parents. I appreciate your point though. Parents who let their kids get a license should definitely make sure their kids are responsible on the road.

Craig

I agree it should be older than 16. I would okay with 18-20 range. I also think drivers education should be taught multiple years of high school. Just in the classroom, no actual hands on training until at least 1 year of training.

vroombaby

When I went into the DMV last month I looked around to see at least 1/2 a dozen teens getting their license or permit. I thought to myself damn those are some young chitlings. I am not sure if I feel old or if I just realize now after "being there and doing that" that 16 is not old enough for some.

philio

I think that the drinking age should be 18 and the driving age should be 21. I think we could solve a whole lot of issues if we just flip-flopped the two.

coup

You make a point. The number of teenagers hurt or killed in car accidents and the number involved in drinking and accidents are very high. That might solve that problem. It might create a whole other set of problems though.

HANG

In Europe they drive a lot later than us and have less crashes, and they also take out those big gulp cupholders. That's why they are so safer. Start kids driving at 16, not at 14/15 like some states, and give them a full license at adulthood, at 18.

Wini

I'm perfectly fine with 16. I'd rather these kids be driving with some restrictions and parental supervision than giving all these new "adults" their license for the first time ever with no restrictions.