How often do you stop on road trips?

MiniVanMommy

I am getting ready for a very dreaded 9 hour drive. I usually only stop for gas, but with kids I have to stop more often. It's crazy how much time even stopping at a gas station for snacks and a break adds on to a trip.

Alone I can make this trip in 9 hours tops, add in the kid stops and I'm pushing 10.5 hours.

How often do you break during road trips?

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I grew up with only stopping for gas. Usually around a 20 hour trip, although on the way back home, we may stop overnight. Not very often we would stop overnight though.

mkp3

I do not stop at every rest stop thats for sure. I know some people who do though and each persons road trip is always a little different. My sister can manage a 5 hour drive without a break, I however can not. Being so tall I need to stretch my legs more than she does.

bennies

Nine hours would be horrid. I tend to get claustrophobic on road trips even in a large vehicle so trying to do something like that all in one go would make me stir crazy.

Guy

I like to take a short break about every three hours or so. With two drivers switching off, there can be fewer actual stops which helps a lot.

Chevy_Lover

My kids are great travelers. We only stop for bathroom breaks and we do in and out in under 15 minutes. We try to make a combination gas/bathroom. We eat in the car. I can make a 10 hour trip into 11.5 to 12 which is not bad considering there is usually lots of traffic somewhere no matter how much you plan it.

ChevyColorado

As little as possible. I hate to stop.. I just want to get wherever I'm going as soon as possible. My wife on the other hand likes to stop at just about every service station we pass...lol

TBird65

It really all depends on how I feel. Sometimes I will go as far as possible, but others I will stop every hour or so. It also depends on if someone is riding with me. Good conversation is is a really good distraction when you're on the road.

Brent

Well, on a long trip I usually stop every two or three hours for gas and/or bathroom breaks. The longest trip I have been on is a 21 hour trip with two drivers switching off.

Last edited:

CharlieBrown

It depends. If I have my wife and daughter with me, we stop about every hour-and-a-half. If I'm travelling alone, I can go four, five hours at a stretch.