Integrated child seats

Dodge Doll

My one pal just replaced her mini-van, and 'gave up' the feature of integrated child seats as part of things.

She is so scorched that she didn't hold out for the feature, because she's now cussing trying to fit booster and car seats alongside each other.

I don't know if the option costs more at the point of purchase, but if it's such a good idea, why aren't more manufacturer's using them?

Wini

What does that mean, that there are child seats built in to the mini-van? Are they removable? I haven't heard anything about this yet but it sounds like it could be a good idea.

Dodge Doll

Dodge had the feature, and yes, they were integrated into the middle seat of the van.

http://www.google.ca/imgres?imgurl=http://www.allpar.com/photos/minivans/child-seats.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.allpar.com/corporate/technology.html&h=563&w=520&sz=37&tbnid=oXcxI_iO6GyBtM:&tbnh=234&tbnw=216&prev=/search?q=integrated+child+seats&tbm=isch&tbo=u&zoom=1&q=integrated+child+seats&hl=en&usg=__9SJAvVLeumyG9encViren4RibnI=&sa=X&ei=J6_8TcXrLKbSiAKXy9z_BA&ved=0CCkQ9QEwAg

The seats 'unfolded' to reveal a booster with a 5-point harness, the opened sections acted as a bolster as a regular carseat would.

I wasn't a Mom when the feature was first out there, but in hindsight, it's a wicked idea!

jumpinjacks

Oh man, I have always wanted to get my wife a mini van with integrated child seats. When we have our three plus her sisters two it is a logistic nightmare. All 5 of them either have to have a car seat or a booster seat by law.

sharky

It gets worse when you do all the work to get the belt as tight as you can with a locking clip finally get it to buckle firmly, and then the kid next to the seat unbuckles it!

coup

I did not even know there was such a thing as integrated child seats. I think my question would be, how do you keep it clean. We were always having to wash the cover of our daughters car seat.

sharky

Makes sense

I don't know if the option costs more at the point of purchase, but if it's such a good idea, why aren't more manufacturer's using them?
I was pondering this and here is what I came up with. If all the car companies used them then they would kill the car and booster seat industry over time. I think there is some corporate pull from the major baby makers who do not want to see that become a regular feature.

Dodge Doll

I was pondering this and here is what I came up with. If all the car companies used them then they would kill the car and booster seat industry over time. I think there is some corporate pull from the major baby makers who do not want to see that become a regular feature.
You make a really good point.

My gal pal had baby blankets she'd use for seats in her van: there was 2, in the middle bench seat. The back of the blankets were plasticized in some fashion. She, too, owns a Spot-Bot for cleaning upholstery: she'd better, she's got 5 kids!

That the child isn't tethered to a car seat that's tethered to a car seat makes me wonder if the integrated seats aren't actually safer: less risk of a belt failure or buckle failure, because there IS only the one, and not two.

I think it'd make a lot parents' lives easier!

vroombaby

That is fine but are they taking into considering the stages of car seats; infants, boosters, etc.? It seems a little weird to try and just offer a parent a new "deal" when its going to have different stages to it.

chillen

Is it just an extra for the vehicle? I guess I do not get it since I would rather pick out the seats that my children will use. Maybe they are aiming for straight up-sales, cash in their pocket for getting more out of you.