Kids In The Front Seat

MustangSally

What do the laws state about kids riding in the front seat? Don't they have to be strapped in a car seat that's secured to the back seat until they reach a certain age? When can they ride in the front seat?

Bridey

I think it differs between states but common sense should tell people not to let kids sit in a front seat unless the usual seatbelt is a good fit for them.

Speedo

In most states it's illegal to have a rear facing infant seat in the front of a vehicle with air bags. Other than that, they generally advise (not require) for kids to sit in the back. My kids have taken turns in the front since an early age because at the time we had three kids and a 2-door hatchback. Three car seats (or two car seats and a booster) would not fit on the rear seat, so we had to have someone up front.

To me, it seems safer to have a young child in the front seat where you can help them with things (sippy cups, reading material, loose socks) than to be driving with one hand and reaching around in the back with the other hand.

I can't tell you how many times I've been behind a car that's swerving all over the road, and when I pass it I see a mom in the front with her eyes glued to her mirror and two or three screaming kids in the back.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
My daughter has ridden in the front seat on very rare occasions, and just going to my parents house or back, which is just slightly longer then the fasten the seat belt chime lasts.

I should note that she does wear her seltbelt when we do that too, but I do not always do so. One of the few times.

Fanbelt

I think in general it's better for kids to ride in the rear seat, and it would be even better if you had someone to sit with them on the seat. Things can always happen no matter how far you drive.

Gomera

Each state does have their own laws but most have some law in affect. It usually is more about height/size than age though that is part of it. Funny, though, I grew up sitting in the front. I hated the backseat.

Fanbelt

Funny though that I was similar to you. As a kid I always sat in the front seat. I thought that in the front you can see much more than you do in the backseat.