Labor charges

Skippy

I need a $2 part put on my car and I was told that it was going to be $40 in labor to put it on! How crazy is that? It makes me want to go on You Tube and find out how to put it on myself.

Lindsey

The sad part is that it's probably only going to take them about ten minutes to do the repair, but they'll still charge you for a half hour. It's outrageous.

Hotrod25

Why not go on YouTube and try to figure it out. I would, that is for sure. I'm lucky enough to have enough people in my family that can work on cars. I do give them money (if it's not my hubby or dad) - so it's cheaper then taking the car to the shop.

FenderBender

They really do sock it to you at the garage when it comes to labor. It would be really nice if you had someone to do the work for you. My dad used to do mine but they live too far away for him to do it now.

Skippy

HotRod, I would except the job involves taking the whole wheel assembly and brakes off and I don't think I feel comfortable messing with my brakes. I did find a friend of a friend who will do it for $10 though.

bjstorm

When it comes to brakes, I think I'd rather pay and be sure that it's going to be done right. Unless that friend of a friend is a licensed mechanic, I might be cautious.

Flipit

Extra work involved

Even if it's a $2 part, all that disassembling and reassembling takes labor and man hours to complete. Then everything has to be lined back up. I have to say I understand the labor charges and would rather pay them than do them myself. There's know-how involved, too. Still, it's frustrating. I guess just be thankful it's a $2 part. Our dentist charged us $1600. last week for what he did in 30 minutes. I hope it was the parts he was charging for and not his time.

it's really wrong, it's not acceptable for any person when he pay out of his real service payment.

Last edited:

Gomera

Labor charges need to be regulated. This happens to me all the time. It is a ten minute job and the part is two times less than the outrageous labor charge.

HondaMan

Yeah, they really sock it to you when it comes to labor charges. Just the other day, I had to take my work car in because the brakes started grinding really bad. I figured the rotors would have to be replaced too. Still, $267.00 to replace brake pads and rotors seems outrageous. Glad it came out of the bosses' pocket instead of mine!

Hotrod25

It stinks because even when you car is under warranty, you still have to pay the labor charges. I thought it was a bit odd, but I was told I had to pay the labor. Is this the same for everyone?

JohnBoy

People in this country charge as much as they can get out of you. With car repairs, they often know you're at their mercy. The same thing has happened in the medical industry and the funeral business. They have billboards advertising their service. We pay for those billboards!