Low Power

wwepatriot

Got a 96 Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera 4 Cylinder engine, and the last 2-3 months have been experiencing low power more so at lower speeds under 40-45 usually. It take so much strain on the engine and power on the gas pedal to pick up speed it got pretty ridiculous, at the same time the car would heat up on the temperature gauge (quarter mark) after a few minutes of it doing this, the car would also vibrate.

So I ended up changing Spark Plugs, Wires, O2 Sensor, cut off the catalytic converter and piped it in, got rid of the 2nd O2 sensor after the Catalytic Converter, changed air filter and intake.

Still has not fixed the problem, it improved some what, but still cannot pinpoint the problem. At times I have to turn off the AC to GAIN power.

Like to note it does not do this all the time.

any suggestions?

Last edited:

carl

If it only does this at certain speeds, then you'll want to look at your transmission also. Flush it and change out the fluids. How many miles are on the tranny alone? Is it the original?

wwepatriot

transmission fluid was changed as well as filter about 2 weeks ago, hardly any shavings in the pan, some similar symptoms I have seen has ranged the problem to being anything from Timing Chain, Valve Boby Cover of Transmission, to the Crank Shaft Sensor.

Everything in it is original with 162k miles on it.

mobilityuser4

Have you checked out the ECU? If the little computer that tells valves when to flip and processes fluid/air ratios or any numerous other sensors it could be messing with different systems.

ginger

I used to have

I used to have an Oldsmobile that had a similar problem. It turned out it was a flaw in the model having to do with the electronic systems. I ended up just getting rid of that car.