Maintenance Schedule for New Cars

Gomera

So many people are used to the older service standards about oil changes and such that they are spending money they don't need to on maintenance. Have you read your manual to ensure you are following the new standards? I've seen several news stories on this and it is amazing how many car owners haven't looked at their manuals and are getting service they really don't need.

HondaMan

I agree in a way, Gomera. I know most newer cars can go up to 7500 miles between oil changes, according to the owners manual. However, even with a newer car, I still prefer to have my oil changed every 3000 miles. To me, it's (fairly) cheap insurance, considering the possible alternative.

Hotrod25

I used to have my oil changed every 3000 miles. I switched to 5000 now but I do use a better quality of oil too. I think that has a lot to do with it, the oil you are using.

Gomera

I actually still have a very old car so the old rules apply to me, but I am just curious. Do you think your inclination to stick with the old is more having been raised that way or real skepticism that not doing so hurts the cars?

HondaMan

I think it's a little of both. My dad always had the oil changed in his cars every 3000 miles, religiously. He also "pounded" into my brain that not doing so, would (eventually) lead to engine failure.

He was the same way with other fluids and filters. His tranny fluid was changed every 15000 miles, radiator was flushed and refilled every 30000 miles and air filter, every 30000 miles. He must've known what he was talking about, because I don't remember any of my dads' cars ever having any mechanical troubles.

JohnBoy

Change the oil

All it takes is one replaced engine due to not changing the oil on a regular basis is enough to make you rethink that 3,000 mile thing. Believe me, for it happened to my sister. She thought she could drive forever, I guess. She does it religiously now.

Lamboguy

All it takes is one replaced engine due to not changing the oil on a regular basis is enough to make you rethink that 3,000 mile thing. Believe me, for it happened to my sister. She thought she could drive forever, I guess. She does it religiously now.
But they are talking about new cars. Could this happen with a new car too? I have an older car and I'm going on 4000 miles. I need to get it changed tomorrow though. I knew a few people that had to get a new engine and it wasn't pretty at all. I'm not sure it was because of not changing the oil though.

JohnBoy

Changing oil

Her car was only four years old. She just thought it would go forever. So while it was not exactly new, it should have lasted much longer than it did. All she needed to do was change the oil when it was due.

bjstorm

I think newer cars can go longer between oil changes, but I think how often you change the oil depends on how you drive, the general driving conditions, and how many miles you put on your vehicle. At the very least I change mine every season even if I've gone less than the 3000 miles. It's a small price to pay for the stuff that lubricates all those moving parts.