Motorcycle Taxi

fiat500

I lived and worked in Thailand for almost 7 years and therefore have used those motorcycle taxis quite a few times. They are useful in streets where buses don't go. Would you take them if you go there?

Chaoticdriver

Interesting. I have ever seen motorbike taxis on some movies but I have never tried any myself. It doesn't seem to be very safe though. How much does it cost anyway?

fiat500

I didn't have problem with them as long as we were on a small street where no buses went but mostly pedestrians. The scary part was if we had to cross an express way or any major roads like Sukhumvit Road, one of the busiest roads in Bangkok. The cost varied from 5 Baht to 20 Baht.
If they stay within their routes you only have to pay the minimum, otherwise you have to pay premium.

MotorX

If I'm the only passenger, I would think it would be just as safe as any other mode of transportation driven by someone else. If it was like one picture I saw where there were five passengers, not counting the driver - well, that's a different story!!

Kohn

Motorcycle Taxi . . . does this mean you ride at the back of the motorcycle? or does the motorcyle has some contraption where the passenger sits? I've seen a lot of these kinds of transportation in the Philippines.

Here's a picture . . .

fiat500

@Kohn, interestingly, I'm originally from the Philippines and we call that tricycle. That's safer to ride. In Thailand it's just a plain motorcycle. I pulled out a photo from Bangkokblogger and you will see them toeing the line. That's why they are preferred by many because they can get in front of anyone.

Fanbelt

If they stay within their routes you only have to pay the minimum, otherwise you have to pay premium.
That's interesting. So a motorcycle taxi has its own route just like a transit bus does? I thought it's like a taxi which can take you anywhere you want.