Not wax but sealant

mkp3

What is the main difference? I guess I have always been a wax on wax off kinda person but I am not sure what exactly sealant is or why its used. Is one really better than the other?

CharlieBrown

I've never heard of "sealant." Actually, wax "seals" everything in. But before wax, comes polish. Polish is actually what makes the paint shine, and wax seals in that shine.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
A wax is a naturally made, it may not last as long as a sealant but gives it a deeper shine. A good sealant will last about twice as long or longer then a good wax. Sealants are made up in a lab.

UGoGirl

So would "clear coat" be considered a type of a sealant or are we talking about something different here? I like the idea of something really long lasting.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
Clear coat is a bit different. Clear coat as most people think of it on modern cars is a layer of clear resin applied over the top of colored resin. It does protect the base coat, but it does need regular maintenance to keep it in top shape.

MyMotor

How do you maintain it? I've always just shampooed and then waxed. I get dings-chips in the clear coat and I don't see how to prevent those other than using a bra.

Jon

The only "sealant" I've ever heard of is the over-priced crap they try to sell you when you buy a new car. For me, it's a good quality polish to bring out the shine, then a couple coats of wax to seal it all in and protect the paint.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
How do you maintain it? I've always just shampooed and then waxed. I get dings-chips in the clear coat and I don't see how to prevent those other than using a bra.
Wash and wax. Polish is always a good step too.