Odd Smell

striker

We have an odd smell coming from the trunk of our car. I'm wondering if maybe it's the exhaust pipe? It doesn't quite smell rotten, it smells kind of old. What do you think?

MaximumSpeed

Does the trunk have carpet? If so, you might try getting a bottle of Febreze (or something like it) and spraying the interior of the trunk to see if that takes care of the smell. If not, the exhaust might be an issue.

FenderBender

It may be that you left something in the trunk, have you checked it thoroughly? I would try spraying the Febreeze to eliminate the trunk itself and then have the exhaust checked if you are still having issues.

striker

Yes, we've checked the trunk to make sure there is nothing dead or rotting. Febreeze sounds so simple, I'm wondering why I didn't think of it. I'll give that a go and see what happened. I hope it's not the exhaust.

UGoGirl

It might be good to open the trunk and put your car out in the sun for a good stretch of time. If you have mold or mildew, the sun will help to eliminate it.

Vroom Vroom

Did the smell just recently show up or has it been there a while? If you carry groceries in the trunk you might have had something spill. It's also possible that water got into the trunk and has caused some mildew.