Oil changes

cruising

How many people actually do their own oil changes? My nephew says he will do mine for half the price they charge at the service center. I'm still hesitant because I think the car needs better checking out than that. I'd rather pay him not to do it, but I don't want to offend him.

Rodney

I do my own oil changes, check fluid levels, change filters, etc. It's not a big deal and your nephew would probably be more thorough than a service center.

Joy

DIY oil changes

My brother has always changed my oil. He also checks out other things on my car and lets me know when things need extra attention. I've always said in my next life I'm going to marry either a fix-it guy or an auto mechanic.

Lindsey

My husband always does our oil changes. He had an incident a few years ago where he didn't have time so dropped off his pick-up at the local garage. When he picked it up later, he didn't get far before the oil pressure gauge came on. Apparently they hadn't tightened the oil filter properly and the oil started to rush out as soon as he started driving. Fortunately he caught it before there was damage to the engine. But ever since then he changes his own oil.

sandis

I did for a long time but when we moved last someone lost the ramps for the car and it was not me. Since I am not in the mood (or the age) to really crawl around under a car anymore its easier to just pay someone.

RoadWarrior

I used to be very good at changing my own oil, it was something I enjoyed doing and was proud of a job that I knew was done correctly. However, like sandis, I simply am too old and have too much to do nowadays to be crawling around under the car. I have a local mechanic who does it for me for $15 (and I provide the oil and filter).

Skippy

I have done mine and it really isn't that difficult. I think you could probably trust your nephew if he is at all proficient around an engine.

Flipit

No more

I used to change my own oil. I lived in an area that had a small drainage ditch running along the side yard. I'd drive my car over it, slip into the ditch and have easy access to the underside of the car. These days I'm too lazy and would rather pull out my plastic than climb into old clothes and have stuff drip into my face.

Tiger21

I've done my own oil change probably 4 or 5 times way back when I had my first car, and although it may be cheaper than taking it in to a dealership or mechanic, the labor and fear of screwing something up made me switch tactics and have someone else do it faster.

bjstorm

I usually take mine to one of those shops where all they do are oil changes. They go through a whole checklist of items and I can watch while they do it, so I feel like it's worth the money and the time I'm saving.

many person do own oil change but it's not good for his car, engine need to check every part properly so my suggestion is every person need change their car oil in any service station or show any mechanic .

Last edited: