Parking your car in an incline

minyoung

When parking a car on an incline, I remember being taught not to leave your front wheels facing straight forward. Instead orient it sideways.

The rationale is, if by some freak chance your hand breaks fail, your car doesn't run straight down. Instead it should just ram itself on the road side.

Do you do this?*I must admit I often forget this safety measure.

FiveSpeed

Yeah, I do it when I'm parked on a hill. But that is very seldom and most places I park are either level or just slightly uphill or downhill. I also always make sure my parking brakes are in good order.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
That is the way I was taught. Very rarely have I parked on a hill in Florida. So I do not tend to do this. But I do apply the parking break.

MustangSally

I don't park on an incline unless I absolutely have to. When I do, I turn my wheels so if the vehicle rolls, it will roll into the curb if there is one. I also set the parking brake.

minyoung

Yeah, we rarely park at an incline. I think this is precisely why we often forget this.

The occasions when I park at an incline were when I appreciate the view from a winding road that goes up a slope of a mountain. I stop at the road side, get out and take pictures.

Another occasion was when I parked outside the gate of a friend whose house was along an uphill climb.