Parts online

cleartan

When you do need to order something are you buying local or are you ordering online? I visit another car forum for mustangs and I am noticing a huge classifieds section for them to sell flat our or swap. Not sure if its just the car type or most sites are doing this but it seems kind of new. Not full on new but booming I guess I should say.

RapidRon

For me it runs about 50/50. I don't buy tires or any large purchases for my car online. I do order new belts, spark plugs, air & oil filters, and other small items through the internet.

cleartan

I think many places have popped up from what I can tell, in the past year alone that are so-so when it comes to ordering online. That or good customer service just went out the window and no one stopped to tell me about it. Prices and support are just really bad lately.

ChevyColorado

For me it runs about 50/50. I don't buy tires or any large purchases for my car online. I do order new belts, spark plugs, air & oil filters, and other small items through the internet.
Same deal for me. If I can get my parts online I will, but not if the part I need is real bulky or heavy. It just wouldn't make sense because of the extra shipping charges.

cleartan

My only issue with ordering online is worrying about who is a drop shipper and who is not, I want to make sure the parts I order are legit and do work the way they should. I guess after reading some stories it makes me a little hesitant.

ChevyColorado

My only issue with ordering online is worrying about who is a drop shipper and who is not, I want to make sure the parts I order are legit and do work the way they should. I guess after reading some stories it makes me a little hesitant.
Drop shipping isn't as bad as it is made out to be. People just feel cheated because they know that they bought the part from someone who made a little money with the transaction. What a lot of people don't understood is, the reason that drop shipper got it for so cheap and sold it to you is because:

A. they have an account they pay for on a monthly or yearly basis

B. they have to buy the items in bulk for a wholesale discount

MaximumSpeed

We usually buy car parts locally, but my son's motorcycle parts have all been ordered online because we live in a kind of small town and we don't have a good bike shop here.

Testdriving

I prefer to buy them from the local shop. I do shop online but when it comes to spare-parts for my car, I don't like the idea of buying something I haven't checked before.

RoadWarrior

It depends on the prices, and whether or not I find anything bad about a particular company. Before I buy anything online, I type "XYZ Company scam" into Google. If the company has any complaints, usually they show up on Google.

cleartan

Most of the local shops in my area are all large corp's with franchises I guess is what they are. Others are via membership like Sears, etc.

ChevyColorado

It depends on the prices, and whether or not I find anything bad about a particular company. Before I buy anything online, I type "XYZ Company scam" into Google. If the company has any complaints, usually they show up on Google.
Yea, I do this a lot too. However, I have noticed that you can't just judge the place on its rating; you have to actually look through the reviews. Sometimes people give poor reviews for bad reasons like "1 out of 5 stars" comment by reviewer: "I ordered the wrong thing and I don't have the time to return it." I've seen things like this on several occasions.

cleartan

I hate when I come across a good product that I know I need but the reviews are only so-so, for each good there is a bad too equal it all out.