Private sale or trade in?

Rodney

When you are replacing a vehicle, do you sell it privately or trade it in at a dealer? I used to think you could get more money selling privately, but in this economy I just don't know which way to go.

Donnie

Private sale

I've always been able to sell my old car for more than I could get at the dealership. I have always bought a new car with cash, so I don't know how much dealers give in trade when one is financing.

RoseRed

I get more money if I sell the car privately; I just have to decide if it's worth the trouble or not. Generally I find that it is.

Rodney

I think ya'll are right. Bad economy or not, private is probably still the way to go. As RoseRed said though, it can be a bit of a headache. Maybe I'll list it for two weeks and if I don't get anywhere I'll see what I can get on a trade in.

Hotrod25

I think you can get more money if you sell it privately but I think it's harder to do this now too. People aren't buying vehicles anymore so you could have the car for sale for a long time.

ICU2

I always sell mine privately. I have just had better luck selling my cars to individuals than trying to get a decent trade in price from a dealer.

Spokane

I've only gotten rid of two old vehicles; one through a trade in and the other through selling it. It worked out well for me both times. You just have to keep the age of the vehicle in mind. That's the main thing I think.