Rats!

Brent

I wonder why rats eat and bite everything. My motorcycle got some electrical problem and I took it for repair, only to find that rats has bitten the wires.

rocketgirl

Their stomachs can handle pretty much anything, I think, and they also might have been looking for nesting materials. Rats have prospered for so long partly due to their ability to gnaw their way through their problems, whether it be nesting or finding food, lol.

Rockett

They are some pretty resourceful critters. They can get themselves out of just about any jam, but put them up against a cat and it's all over.

cruisin

Now that just stinks! I have had mice climb into my lawnmowers when they sat over the winter but they never messed with my vehicles or my bike. Man I would be furious!

philio

Wow, it reminds me of a cat that my aunt had who was electrocuted when he chewed on some wires. I suppose that is a sort of hit or miss type of thing. How very annoying for you though. Maybe there is something you could put on them to make them taste bad to rats.

redwing

You know, that is not a bad idea at all. I mean they do it with cats and dogs so why could you not do the same thing with rodents. Anyone know of a product like this that already exists?

Brent

Maybe there is something you could put on them to make them taste bad to rats.
Thanks, actually it's a good idea. But what tastes bad for rats when they even eat bar soap (they did!). I was thinking about applying used lubricant oil on the wires though. What do you think?

Testdriving

I hate rats. In my house, rats don't bite wires but they bite everything else from bar soap to furniture! I agree with Rocketgirl , they may also look for nesting materials besides food.