Refurbished battery

Rodney

I need to replace the battery in my Trailblazer and I found a place that sells refurbished ones for less than half the cost of a new one. Has anyone here had experience with refurbished batteries?

Retread

I believe in getting a new battery when the old one plays out. My father had a battery blow up on him when I was a child, so I've been cautious around, and slightly afraid of, batteries ever since then. I'll save money other places.

RoadWarrior

I've bought refurbished batteries, and I see nothing wrong with them. Of course, they're not going to last five years, but if you can buy a battery for $25 that's guaranteed for a year, that sounds like a pretty good deal to me. Of course, I've always saved the cheap battery for the older cars in the family. I wouldn't put one on a car that was less than five years old.

FenderBender

I would advise against buying a used battery. You can buy a new one for around $50 and they will usually give you a core return (that is about $10) when you trade in your old one.

cruising

I buy new batteries, too

Add me to the list of people who insist on buying a new battery when the old one plays out. I'm the one who has to trust that battery to work when I need it to and to be safe when I'm around it.

Skippy

I wouldn't buy a refurbished battery because in my experience they just aren't reliable. I need to know my car is going to start and those don't last long.

bjstorm

I too am one who would only go for a new battery. In my opinion, you're better off buying a cheap new battery than spending money on a refurbished one. I don't want to take a chance being stuck especially in the cold weather.