Security Issues

Classic

What have you found to be an effective way of increasing the security of your car? My car was recently damaged in a break in attempt and it has made me nervous.

MiniMe

Place a very mean dog inside the car. :)

Park the car where many people can see or pass by it. Make sure that alarm works.

I've heard about grounded door knobs but I'm not sure if that works. Just make sure you turn off the current before you get in for you might electrocute yourself.

HomeMechanic

There's nothing like a break-in or an attempted break-in to make you feel violated. Besides the suggestions from minime, put away anything that might make it tempting for someone to break into your car. My dad used to say, "never tempt a thief".

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I have to instruct the wife all the time. She leaves things like GPS sitting in the window, charging cables on the center console and a few times will leave her phone in the car. I personally believe you should never leave anything like that out. No change, or money in sight either. No CDs, nothing.

You can get glass break censors for your alarm system now too. But I am sure it costs some money.

MiniMe

What if the thief is really interested about the car and not the things inside it?

I'm thinking about locking the wheels when the alarm is on. We are not going to manually place a lock on the wheels but it could be a mechanical or computerized locking system. I'm sure that will be expensive if someone can invent that kind of security system.

Classic

I think that the boot would be incredible if you could get one that was easier to use. It would be no more inconvenient to fit than a steering wheel lock but would be more visible.

Fanbelt

Talking about the steering wheel, you reminds me of Mr. Bean who takes the steering wheel of his car with him when he parks the car. :D I think it's a good idea not to tempt the thieves. Anyway, Minime has an interesting idea about the computerized locking system.

Mustang37

If you are at home, put your garage in a locked garage. Do you remember those things a bit back that went over the steering wheel? What where they called and did anyone buy one?

Racer220

An alarm system really helps in protecting your car only if you are near by I think. Do people or any of you here use those steering wheel clamps, I forgot the proper term. I haven' heard much of those lately.

MiniMe

This sounds ridiculous but can we use the locks that towing companies use when we have parked our vehicles on a wrong place? It will surely secure our cars because the wheels are locked and the car won't go anywhere. However, it will really look absurd placing that lock onto your wheels. :D

HomeMechanic

The most important thing is to make sure there is nothing of value lying around in plain site. My dad used to tell me, "never tempt a thief". Alarms are worthless because people who hear it don't care and by the time the police come to check out the alarm and find out who the owner is, your stuff is gone.

Classic

I don't like to leave things in the car, it worries me. But even with nothing on display it still happened. Ah well, I guess you can nver be 100% certain.