Sound Ordinances?

Devoted2Dodge

I have always heard that if you have your car stereo too loud you could get a ticket. Is this true? How would a cop even prove that it was you? I don't have to worry but lately I have heard some cars that seem to be causing mini earthquakes. I have no problem with loud music. If you want to be deaf thats your problem not mine. I was just curious if cops ever pulled anyone over for this.

Last edited:

NeedNewWheels

There are sound ordinances in my area. I believe you can only get the ticket if the cop hears the music coming from your car. Not hard to prove if you are driving in a residential neighborhood, bothering residents. I'm all for loud music in the car if you are not bothering anybody else but I like the ordinances in residential neighborhoods.

MaximumSpeed

They don't always enforce that on main roads and interstates. I think the main reason they have the ordinance is for residential areas, and yes, it's pretty easy to be sure when you're in a neighborhood.

NeedNewWheels

I am just curious if sound ordinances are effective. I wonder if they actually intimidate people into not listening to loud music in certain areas. I wouldn't listen to loud music in a residential area anyway so they don't really affect me.

Hotrod25

I'm sure it's true - or at least it was what I was told too. They have to hear you to give you a ticket. Then it's their word against yours if you try to fight it. It's not like they can record it and play it back.

Lamboguy

When I use to blast my music loud I had a cop pull up next to me and they pretty much let me know to turn my music down. He wasn't real nice about it either. I don't play my music like that anymore, but I can understand why they would give people a ticket or warning for it. It's annoying to hear some ones bass throughout a neighborhood.

Skippy

I turn my music down when I am driving through a residential neighborhood. I especially do it if it is early in the morning or late at night.

Devoted2Dodge

The only thing I do not like when someone chooses to listen to their radio too loud, is their choice in music. I do not care to hear the fact that you think a beat, cuss words, and vulgarity is music. If you like that, fine, listen to it at your house.

MotorX

At least I don't have to worry about that, since I don't have a radio on my bike! I do have to make sure my bike's muffler is working right, though, because it can get noisy if it isn't.

NeedNewWheels

At least I don't have to worry about that, since I don't have a radio on my bike! I do have to make sure my bike's muffler is working right, though, because it can get noisy if it isn't.
I have always wondered how sound ordinances work with noisy cars. If your car or bike is noisy (without a radio on) do you get a ticket in an area with a sound ordinance?

Leslie

I have always wondered how sound ordinances work with noisy cars. If your car or bike is noisy (without a radio on) do you get a ticket in an area with a sound ordinance?
I think it would depend on why it's loud. A lot of states have laws or regulations about mufflers for exactly that reason, and they are ticketable offenses.