Tire Pressure -- What's the correct one?

mack

I usually set my tire pressure to 30psi, all four of them. But I hear people who advise me to keep the pressure at 28psi during a long drive.

What do you think?

Speedo

I go with what it says on my tire. My current tires say 35 psi, so I fill them to 35 psi. Whenever I take my car to the shop, they ALWAYS drop the pressure to around 30. ALWAYS. I have never understood this. Even if I ask them not to, they still do. It drives me nuts.

mack

It appears 30psi is some sort of "default" pressure of sorts ^_^ I remember driving a friend's van. I knew the tire pressure had to be 35psi. So that's what I told the shop technicians, just to be absolutely sure that I won't be running flat.

Mario

I can check three places for correct tire pressure for my vehicle---right on the tire, on the sticker on the inside of the driver's side door and in the owner's manual.

mack

Hi Mario, that's cool :) I have gone by convention so far, which is precisely why I'm a bit confused. What do the three references tell you about the desired tire pressure?

Max

I checked my owner's manual to see if there was any guidance for specific driving conditions. It said to go with the recommended tire pressure in all conditions, as under- or over-inflating can make the tire wear unevenly in either situation.....

mack

Thanks for that Max, but what is the recommended tire pressure, really? All I know so far is that for sedans, it's 30psi. Then for vans or pick ups, it's 35psi. Trucks would need 40psi. Please validate. I have not read them from any manual but from conversations with people.