Tires - good and bad

Hotrod25

So today was the first day I drove the new car in the snow and slush. The tires did a great job driving through the snow and slush :high5:. The car sucked stopping at the stop signs! :mmph: How can be tires good at one thing in the snow and terrible at another?

MaximumSpeed

I'm glad it drove well, but sometimes stopping is more important than moving. On the other hand, snow and slush MEAN that you have to start stopping sooner; the best tires in the world don't change that fact.

Lindsey

The braking system also affects how well the car stops. And according to the shop where I bought my last set of tires, the tread pattern also affects handling and control. If the road was icy though, it doesn't matter what kind of tires you have, your car will slide.

Lamboguy

Like they said, depending on road conditions there isn't a tire that can help you in certain instances. I've been on ice so bad that I was only going a few miles an hour and when I tried to stop, my whole car spun around.

PEZluvr

I hope you didn't get too far out in the intersection! That sounds really dangerous! I would be afraid to drive in those conditions, I think. I'm glad it doesn't snow here much.

Hotrod25

Luckily no one was coming so it wasn't a problem. I have to get used to the brakes, I'm afraid. I need to start to stop a bit sooner. It's an eerie feeling when you are slipping and sliding instead of stopping.

DMan

It may just be a matter of you getting used to your new car and how it handles and how the brake system works. Maybe it's not a tire issue at all.

Hotrod25

DMan it could very well be that - but I was sliding all over the place. I'm thinking it was the tires too! We have not had any snow since and the roads have been clear. I'll test it out again next time it snows.