Transmission and Radiator Service

ZoomZoom

Does anyone regularly change their transmission fluid and flush and refill their cooling system? Personally, I think these, in addition to regular oil changes, are important to the longivity of a car. Most transmission and cooling system problems could be avoided by doing these things or having them done. I change the tranny fluid and flush/refill the cooling system every 30K miles.

FenderBender

To be honest with you I have never had any of these things done. My first car had over 400,000 miles on it and ran like a champion still. The only reason I had to quit driving it was because somebody pulled out from a stop sign and hit my car. The frame was bent and it was too expensive to get it fixed.

Aces

I take my car in every so often and do what they recommend doing most of the time. Occasionally, I'll get a second opinion. I am running one car right now with just over 200,000 miles on it. Before that, it had a new engine installed. I guess I'm doing okay.

bjstorm

I usually check what the manual says and then add a few thousand miles to it before doing anything. But I do check coolant and transmission fluid every six months to see if it needs topping up.

striker

Oh yes, it's important to check all your fluid levels. I take my baby in once a year to get her checked out. They check everything when I take her, too. I trust my mechanic, he's a local guy and my family has been going to him for years, so we know we're not getting ripped off either.