Used Car Advice

Buyer

I'm looking for a used car. I test drove one yesterday and there was a sloshing sound in the engine when I started driving. I'm concerned about this.

What are the likely causes? The guy is clueless, said he overfilled the radiator with water. Could it be an air lock in the radiator from getting too low? Or what about the head gasket. Help!

MyMotor

It could be either. The problem is that if it ran with no coolant, there is a risk of overheating damage to the engine.

If it's the head gasket, you are likely to see something looking like mayonnaise under the oil filler cap. That isn't diagnostic though. You can also try having someone start the engine with the coolant filler cap off, and see if any bubbles come rising out. This is a big indicator-highly likely that if this happens that the head gasket it gone.

Dodge Doll

RUN, and FAST.

There's a reason that vehicle is being sold, and I guarantee it's not the one the owner gave you.

Did you start the vehicle "cold"?

Buyer

I had him start it the first time so that I could watch the exhaust. There was none. Nothing that I could see-no smoke, no steam, nothing visible. Then we went into the house to discuss some other things. The car ran for less than three minutes.

We were inside for about ten minutes. I went out, and I started it this time. It started fine-felt and sounded great.

Any other advice? I'm leaving in about an hour to go see the car again.

lucky

Hi Buyer! I'm on the lookout for good used cars too. I think there's absolutely nothing to worry about that sloshing sound, because what you would do right now is what Dodge Roll is telling you ... RUN, and FAST! LOL! That sloshing sound is the present owner's problem, not yours. Look for a car that doesn't have a sloshing sound :)

Buyer

Thanks for the advice guys. Ok, so I'll look at other options. Still, what do you think that the actual issue is likely to be here-was he bulling or could that have been the cause?