Would you consider a car share?

MaximumSpeed

Apparently, in some areas, car shares are the way to go. People are sharing cars to save money on gas and maintenance. Do you think you would participate in a deal like this?

FenderBender

I would consider it if it were available in my area. However it is pretty much in larger cities that have great public transportation systems already in place.

jason

Administrator
Staff member
I've heard of this before. Someone was just recently talking about it. I forget the name, zip car or something like that. But I guess the vehicles were owned by a company, and you just rented time from my understanding. There was no personal cars involved.

MaximumSpeed

That makes more sense to me than sharing a personal car. It seems like it would be difficult to share a personal car because it wouldn't always be available when you wanted (or needed!) it.

Skippy

I would consider doing the zip car thing if they had something like that around me, but I don't think I would want to share my personal car strictly for liability reasons.

vroombaby

The only person I share a vehicle with is my spouse. I could somewhat see this for younger folks who are say in college and need to save on funds. I guess I just do not like to share. :heh:

Hotrod25

I would not like to car share, if this means sharing a car with another family or person. I don't mind carpooling, but not sharing my car. I have to have a car when I need it, so this would not work for me.

Leslie

I wouldn't like it, either. What if they did something to mess up the car? Spilled something, or didn't clean it like I'd want it? That would just be irritating.

NeedNewWheels

I don't think it's for me. I prefer to have my own car. When I want to go somewhere, I want to go. I don't want to have to share with somebody else and lose some of my independence. I don't like sharing!

Devoted2Dodge

The only way I would share my car, is if I had no other option. What happens if you both have to be somewhere at the exact same time? How can you be sure the other person is a safe driver, when your not around. Sharing a car sounds like it would have more cons than pros!

NeedNewWheels

The only way I would share my car, is if I had no other option. What happens if you both have to be somewhere at the exact same time? How can you be sure the other person is a safe driver, when your not around. Sharing a car sounds like it would have more cons than pros!
That is exactly what I'm thinking. I don't trust another person not to loan the car out to a friend or something either. Plus, things happen. There's traffic and maybe they say they will have the car back by 2 but they aren't able to get it to me until 3 due to events beyond their control. Then I miss work and get fired or something.

lamborg25

I am one person that would find it hard to share anything so how much more if it is a car we are talking about?

I would find it inconveniencing when I wanted to be at a certain place and someone else had the car.